Rural Hill Farm
Historic Rural Hill Farm is one of North Carolina’s oldest historic plantations. It encompasses more than 250 acres of beautiful rolling hills, pastures, and magnificent vistas. First established circa 1760 by Major John and Violet Davidson, this land has played a significant role in the building of America. John Davidson, a patriot in the American Revolution and signer of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, built his plantation in the northern part of Mecklenburg County, which quickly joined other prestigious plantations that became known as the Jewels of the Catawba River Valley region. During the American Revolution, it was a staging area where American troops camped in preparation for the Battle of Cowan’s Ford, a prelude to the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.
Rural Hill has been continuously farmed for more than 225 years. Today, this historic farm is an active living farm with various livestock, a reconstruction of the original homestead, the ruins of the main mansion, barns and outbuildings, the present home built in the 1850’s, two of the last remaining one-room schoolhouses in Mecklenburg County, the Davidson Family cemetery, and several miles of walking trails. It is also a cultural center for those researching their Scottish heritage. So, there is plenty to see during your visit.
Throughout the year the farm is open for school tours, special events such as the Loch Norman Highland Games, The Sheep Dog Trials Competition, and the Spirit of the Hornet’s Nest, a battle reenactment of the Battle of Cowan’s Ford. Corporate team building events and even weddings also help generate revenue to preserve this historic landmark.
Photos from the 225th Anniversary of the Battle of Cowan’s Ford.
Please visit our website at: